I found this in my files–not sure if I did it long ago or what–but I cleaned it up a bit–and shared it at an evening worship service at Angola Prison in Louisiana a month or so ago. While I did not use all the passages–I gave each attendee a paper copy. It is here for you as well–as you pray the promises of God!
“For no matter how many promises God has made, they are “Yes” in Christ. And so through Him the “Amen” is spoken by us to the Glory of God” (2 Corinthians 1:20).
Read this verse carefully: All promises are YES in Christ, but they must become AMEN through us. Amen means; it is true and certain.
We must take God at His Word because His Word is true and just and we must use those promises in faith when praying. We add the AMEN with our lives because a promise means nothing if we do not claim it for ourselves.
According to Everett E. Storms there are 7959 promises in Scripture made by God. If we use one promise each day it will take us 22 years to use each of the promises once. Caleb lived 40 (forty years) on one promise. How many years can we live on 7959 promises?
Promises predict the answers to prayer. They are the molds into which we pour our prayers. They foretell what to expect. They shape our praying. They motivate, direct & determine our supplication. This makes Christian praying different! How? In a very real sense we pray from the answer, with the answer in mind, from the answer to it. This is the way of The Lord, the way of faith. He promises—we believe. We act on His Word. In this way answered prayer not only satisfies us; it delights the Heart of God by fulfilling His Own Word. And this is a most important thing with God.
We must go to God with His own promises. When we pray for revival or a person’s salvation we must look in Scripture for God’s Will and then look for any promise in that connection. Stand on those promises, add an AMEN to the promise.
In Jeremiah 33:19-27 the Lord says His promises (to David) are as steadfast as sunrise and sunset: “If you can break My covenant with the day and My covenant with the night, so that day and night no longer come at their appointed time then my covenant with David my servant can be broken…”
Numbers 23:19 “God is not a man that He should lie nor a son of man that He should change His mind. Does He speak and then not act? Does He promise and not fulfill?”
To illustrate this thought more clearly we add the following quotation: “Each word of God can be traced back to a kneeling form; tarry at a promise & God will meet you there.”
With this discovery, God really gave me a new Bible! I had not yet learned how to make it my prayer book. It gave me a new motivation for Bible study. I now search the Scriptures … meditate … mark its many promises … memorize, memorize, memorize! There are thousands of promises; a promise for every need, burden, problem, situation.
PROMISES FOR DIFFERENT NEEDS
•God keeps His promises
- God is not a man that he should lie, nor a son of man that He should change His mind (Numbers 23:19); Hebrews 10:23; Isaiah 46:11; Ps.89:34-36; Isaiah 30:18
•God listens to our prayer
- For the Eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and His Ears are attentive to their prayer (1 Pet.3:12) Ps.34:17; 1 John 5:14; 2 Cron.16:9; Ps.4:4; Ps.102:17.
•God answers our prayer
- Before they call I will answer; while they are still speaking I will hear (Isaiah 65:24). Jer.33:3; Mark 11:24; John 16:24; John 15:7; Isaiah 58:9; Eph.3:20; Matt.7:7
•Promises about salvation
- For God did not send His Son into the World to condemn it but to save the World through Him (John 3:17). Rom.10:9-10; 10:13; Eph.2:8-9; 1 Tim.2:3-4; Hebrews 6:18
•Promises about new life
- Therefore, if anyone is in Christ he is a new creation, the old has gone the new has come! (2 Corinthians 5:17) John 10:10; 1 Pet.2:24; Gal.2:20; Rom.6:4; 1 John 3:9; 2 Corinthians 3:18; Ezek.36:26
•Promises about freedom
- Then you will know the Truth and the Truth will set you free … So if the Son sets you free, you will be free indeed (John 8:32, 36) Rom.6:14,22; Rom.8:1-2; 2 Corinthians 3:17; Acts 13:38
•Promises about forgiveness
- If we confess our sins, He is Faithful and Just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness (1 John 1:9) Ps.32:1-2; Isaiah 43:25; Ps.103:12; 1 John 2:12; Eph.1:7; Rom.8:33.
•Promises about justification
- God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God (2 Corinthians 5:21) Rom.8:10; 1 Cor.1:30; Rom.3:21-22; Rom.4:4-5; Rom.5:17.
•Promises about the Holy Spirit
- If you then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in Heaven give The Holy Spirit to those who ask Him (Luke 11:13) Isaiah 44:3; John 14:16-17; John 16:7; Acts 1:8; Acts 2:38-39 Gal.4:6; Gal.3:14; 1 John 4:13; Matt.3:11; Ezek.36:27; Eph.1:13
•Promises about faith in God
-Think of yourself … in accordance with the measure of faith God has given you (Rom.12:3) Eph.2:8; Hebrews 11:6; James 1:3; 1 Pet.1:7; Rom.1:17; 1 John 5:4; Mark 9:23; Eph.6:16; John 20:29; Matt.21:21-22; John 16:24
•Promises about The Word
- All Scripture is God-Breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work (2 Tim.3:16-17) 1 Pet.1:25; Isaiah 40:8; Matt.4:4; Deut.29:29; Jos.1:8; Isaiah 55:11; Hebrews 4:12.
•Promises about protection from the Evil One
- But The Lord is Faithful and He will strengthen and protect you from the evil one (2 Thess.3:3) 2 Tim.4:18; Col.1:13; Col.2:15; 1 John 5:18; Rom.8:38, 39; Ps.91:9-13; Hebrews 2:14-15
•Promises about His presence
- And surely I am with you always to the very end of the age (Matt.28:20) Isaiah 43:5; James 4:8; John 14:15-16; Matt.18:20; Ps.23:4; Hebrews 13:5
•Promises about Spiritual growth
- Being confident of this, that He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus (Phil.1:6) John 17:18-19; 2 Pet.1:3-4; 2 Corinthians 3:18; 1 Cor.1:8; Eph.3:17-19; Phil.1:9-10
•Promises about Spiritual gifts
- God’s gifts and His call are irrevocable (Rom.11:29) Rom.12:5-8
•Promises about the Truth
- When the Counselor comes, whom I will send to you from the Father, the Spirit of Truth who goes out from the Father, He will testify about Me (John 15:26) John 8:31-32; John 16:3; Eph.5:9
•Promises about the Love of God
- But God demonstrates His own Love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us (Rom.5:8) Jer.31:3; Isaiah 54:10; 1 John 4: 9-10; John 15:9; 1 John 3:1
•Promises about joy
- I have told you this so that My joy may be in you and that your joy may be complete (John 15:11) Ps.16:11; Rom.14:17; Isaiah 55:12; Isaiah 35:10
•Promises about the Peace of God
- But He was pierced for our transgressions; He was crushed for our iniquities; the punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed (Isaiah 53:5) John 14:27; Rom.5:1; Phil.4:7 Rom.5:22
•Promises about the Hope of the Christian
- For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope (Rom.15:4) Col.1:27; 1 Pet.1:3; Hebrews 6:18-19; Rom.5:2; Rom.15:13
•Promises about eternal Life
- For God so loved the World that He gave His One and Only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish but have eternal Life (John 3:16) 1 John 2:25; Rom.6:23; John 10:27-28; John 5:24; 1 John 5:11-13
•Promises about the Second Coming of Christ
- In my Father’s House are many rooms; if it were not so I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you I will come back and take you to be with Me (John 14:2-3) John 14:28; Acts 1:11; 1 Thess.4:16-17; Col.3:4; Hebrews 9:28; Rev.1:7
•Promises about Heaven
- I saw the Holy City, the New Jerusalem, coming down out of Heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud Voice from the Throne saying: “Now the dwelling of God is with men, and He will live with them. They will be His people and God Himself will be with them and be their God (Rev.21:2-3) 1 Pet.1:4-5; 2 Pet.1:10-11; 2 Pet.3:13; Luke 23:43
•God promises power
- He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak (Isaiah 40:29) Ps.29:11; Isaiah 26:4; Neh.8:10; Eph.6:10; Phil.4:13; Isaiah 58:11
•We can trust in God
- Have no fear of sudden disaster or of the ruin that overtakes the wicked for the Lord will be your confidence and will keep your foot from being snared (Prov.3:25-26) Prov.14:26; Isaiah 30:15; 1 John 3:21; 1John 5:14-15
•God promises wisdom
- To the man who please Him, God gives wisdom, knowledge and happiness (Eccl.2:26) Prov.2:6-7; Prov.9:10; Job 12:13; Dan.2:20-22; 1 Cor.1:30;
•The Lord will teach us
- He guides the humble in what is right and teaches them His Way. All the ways of the Lord are loving and faithful for those who keep the demands of His covenant (Ps.25:8-10) Ps.25:12-14; Ps.32:8; 2 Tim.3:16-17; Prov.15:33
•The Lord will guide us
- Whether you turn to the right or to the left your ears will hear a Voice behind you, saying, “This is the way; walk in it” (Isaiah 30:21) Ps.48:14; Ps.23:1,3; Ps.139:9-10
•The Lord will make us prosperous
- Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him and He will make your paths straight. (Prov.3:5-6) Jos.1:8; 2 Chron.20:20; Prov.16:3; 2 Corinthians 3:5b; 1 Chron.22:12-13
•God will comfort us
- Blessed are those who mourn for they will be comforted (Matt.5:4) 2 Corinthians 1:3-4; 2 Thess.2:16-17; Isaiah 49:13; John 14:18
•God will give us the desires of our heart
- May He give you the desire of your heart and make all your plans succeed (Ps.20:4) Ps.21:2; Prov.10:24; Ps.103:4-5; Mark 11:24
•Promises about the family of the believer
- The Lord blesses the house of the righteous (Prov. 3:33) Prov.12:7; Deut.12:28; Isaiah 54:13; Ps.112:1-3; Prov.22:6; Ps.128:1,3; Deut. 4:40; Eph.6:2-3
•Promises about health and healing
- By His wounds we are healed (Isaiah 53:5c) Jer.30:17; Deut. 7:12,15; Ps.91:5-6,10; 3 John 1:2; Jer.33:6; Ex.15:25-26; Ps.103:3; Mal.4:2; 1 Pet.2:24; James 5:13-14,16; Matt.8:16-17
•Promises about the protection of God
- The name of the Lord is a strong tower; the righteous run to it and are safe (Prov.18:10) 1 Sam.2:9; Ps.125: 1-2; Ps.91:3-4,11-12; Ps.34:19-20; Ps.121:1-8; Prov.29:25
•Promises about practical/physical needs
- And my God will meet all your needs according to His Glorious Riches in Christ Jesus (Phil.4:19) Matt.6:25-26,31-33; Deut.28:1,11,12; Luke 12:30-31; Deut.29:9; Ps.111:5; Isaiah 1:19; Zech.10:1; Lev.26:3-5
•Promises for times of fear and doubt
- So do not fear for I am with you; do not be dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with My Righteous Right Hand (Isaiah 41:10) Isaiah 41:13; Isaiah 43:1; 2 Tim.1:7; Luke 12:6-7; 1 John 4:18; Rom. 4:21; Ps.112:7; Isaiah 58:9
•Promises for times of depression
- Why are you downcast O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him my Savior and my God (Ps.43:5) Ps.73:26; Ps.37:23-24; Ps.34:4-7; Isaiah 49:15; Hebrews 13:5
•Promises in times of failure and helplessness
- Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in Me (John 14:1) Isaiah 61:1-3; Ps.147:3; Rom.8:28; Isaiah 41:13; 2 Corinthians 12:9; Rom.8:26; Hebrews 13:6; 1 John 4:4
•Promises in times of anxiety
- If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith …Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself (Matt.6:30,34) Phil.4:6-7; Luke 12:25-26; 1 Pet.5:6-7; Gal.5:1; Matt.11:28-30.
•Promises in time of temptation and demonic attacks
- No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is Faithful; He will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when are tempted, He will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it. (1 Cor.10:13) 2 Pet.2:7-9; Hebrews 4:14-16; 1 Thess.5:22-24; James 4:7; Gal.1:3-4; Rom.16:20; John 16:33; 1 John 4:4
•Promises in suffering, difficulties and attacks from people
- The salvation of the righteous comes from the Lord; He is their stronghold in time of trouble. The Lord helps them and delivers them; He delivers them from the wicked and saves them because they take refuge in Him (Ps.37:39-40) James 1:12; Rom.5:3; 1 Pet.1:4-7; Jer.15:21; Ps.27:1-2; 1 Pet.3:9; Rom.8:31; Ex.14:13-14; Matt.5:10-12; Luke 21:12-15; Rev.2:10
•God gives power for His service
-This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel: “Not by might nor by power, but by My Spirit” says the Lord Almighty (Zech.4:6) Acts.1:8; Isaiah 40:31; Eph.6:13; Phil.2:13; Eph.3:16; Col.1:11